Traffic accidents are one of the most serious problems facing us in our time and constitute a great concern for us and for all members of society because of the attrition caused by the most important component of life, which is human resources, as well as the depletion of material resources and causing social and psychological problems for members of society.
A traffic accident is defined as every accident caused by vehicles or their cargo while driving on the road and resulting in injury, death, or burning of the vehicle while it is moving, or accidental loss of property.
The causes of traffic accidents
Traffic accidents are attributed to several reasons, including:
- Increased speed: Increasing the speed of the vehicle causes a loss of control and hinders the ability to avoid accidents, and an increase in the speed of the vehicle is one of the main causes that lead to traffic accidents, as it contributes by 43.6% of the total causes leading to traffic accidents.
- Wrongly interrupting traffic signs: Red traffic lights are the second biggest cause of traffic accidents, contributing 18.4% of the total causes leading to traffic accidents.
- Not overtaking properly: The wrong vehicle overtaking causes 16.5% of traffic accidents.
- Recklessness while driving vehicles: Some drivers imagine that they own the road, and they do not care about other vehicles around them, and they do not care about their safety or the safety of others, leading to their recklessness and recklessness in driving to gruesome traffic accidents.
- Lack of focus while driving: This happens with the driver busy talking by phone, talking to his companions, or lack of focus on the road while driving with his left and right hands, in addition to his busy turning the bars, and these are all reasons that distract the driver’s mind and cause traffic accidents.
- Failure to comply with general safety requirements, such as not using a seat belt while driving vehicles.
- Driving vehicles by people who are not qualified for this: Driving vehicles by young minors and adolescents is one of the causes of traffic accidents, they do not care or appreciate the size of the risks that they will be exposed to while driving vehicles without training or awareness, and here highlights the role of parents in monitoring their children and educating them about This subject.
- Lack of regular vehicle maintenance: Periodically maintenance of tires and brakes is necessary to avoid traffic accidents resulting from breakdowns.
- Use of poisons and forbidden pills: Some drivers take these toxins out of the belief that they stimulate them and expel sleep from their eyes, causing severe effects on the mind, which leads to traffic accidents.
- Driving the visually impaired and the elderly for vehicles.
- Driving when feeling tired and sleepy.
- Violators are not held accountable for traffic rules and regulations.
- The presence of stray animals on the roads.
Traffic accident elements
Every traffic accident has three components:
- The human element: represented by the vehicle’s driver, his companions, and pedestrians on the street.
- The road: It is every place designated for the movement of vehicles, pedestrians or animals.
- The vehicle: It is the most important of these elements because if it had not existed, accidents would not have occurred.
The most common traffic accidents
Injuries vary due to traffic accidents depending on the location of the person in the vehicle and the street and take public safety precautions Khzam safety or other, there are several common injuries from traffic accidents, which cause the disability of the person, including:
- Spinal cord injuries: A spinal cord injury causes a neurological defect that can cause total or partial disability according to the degree of injury suffered by the person. Spinal cord injury also accompanies several health problems, most notably: complications that occur in the circulatory system and heart, pneumonia, and pain Chronic, clinical ulcers, inability to walk due to paralysis of the extremities and spastic muscular tension, in addition to the inability to control exits, and between 15-40 people out of every million people in the world are exposed to spinal cord injuries.
- The concussion of the brain and head injuries: Most of the deaths caused by traffic accidents are due to head injuries and concussion, where 100 people out of one hundred thousand people are exposed to head injuries annually, divided between simple by 20%, and medium to severe by 80%.
- Limb amputation: Traffic accidents are one of the main causes of limb amputation in young people, as 20% of amputations are in the lower limbs, and 75% of them are in the upper limbs, and most of them occur in men in the age group between 15-45 years.
- Burns: Burns is considered one of the serious problems associated with traffic accidents, especially when there are a large number of people in the vehicle during the accident, because it may cause death to injured people as a result of the escalation of fumes and toxic gases or their exposure to thermal burns.
- Bruises of the rib cage, heart and lungs: Some traffic accidents cause these bruises, resulting in fractures in the rib cage and tearing internal organs such as the heart and lungs. It can also cause the aorta to burst.
- Abdominal and organ injuries: The cause of this type of injury is due to traffic accidents by 85% of the injured; traffic accidents are the main cause of them, and the death rate due to injuries to the abdomen and its members is 6% of the total deaths caused by traffic accidents.
- Fractures: Fractures accompanying traffic accidents range from simple fractures to double fractures accompanying rupture in surrounding tissues, nerves, and muscles. The percentage of fractures in the world is approximately 2% of its population, half of them as a result of traffic accidents, and long bone fractures may be accompanied by internal bleeding that may It causes death as happens when pelvic fractures or paralysis result from damage to the peripheral or arterial nerves caused by compression of the broken limb.
- Psychological and social effects: Most people with traffic accidents are exposed to a state of fear, anxiety, and forgetfulness that in turn leads to depression. These symptoms are called post-accident psychological pressure (PTSD).
- Other injuries: are injuries and dysfunction in the diaphragm, veins, and arteries in the neck, kidneys, and other serious complications that may follow, such as strokes, jaw fractures, facial injuries, and tissue rupture.